Susan McDonald, the author of Let's Move to China, Ma Cherie!, got her first writing job as a magazine journalist in Atlanta in the 1980s. In the 1990s, she worked as an educator at the museum-style Poe Center for Health Education in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Susan now lives happily on the side of Green Mountain near Huntsville, Alabama. Her husband of many years is an electrical engineer who was born and raised in Mexico. They have two grown children, Carmen and Max. When not traveling or writing, she enjoys volunteering at the Huntsville Botanical Garden and working in her own backyard fern garden.
Five Quirky Things About Susan That You Might Find Interesting:
1. She loves to travel and keeps a photo-file on her computer of interesting cats she has met in Italy, France, Alabama, Arizona, and Mexico.
2. After three years of international dating she married the local young man she met while an exchange student in Mexico.
3. Her best friend is a Danish woman she met when they were both just eighteen. A few years later “Aunt Moske” went to work for Scandinavian Airlines and has been coming to visit Susan's family every autumn for over twenty years.
4. She fell in love with Adela's memories while reading them in between treating patients at the dental office where she was working part-time.
5. Although she has enjoyed writing for magazines, Susan's favorite job will always be the summer she spent caring for baby lions at a drive-through zoo in suburban Atlanta.